Today we will look into Construction or Main Parts, Working, Application, Advantages, Disadvantages of Cochran Boiler.
Note: You can download PDF just below the articles.
The Cochran boiler was produced by Cochran & Co. of Annan.
It is a multi-tubular vertical fire tube boiler having a number of horizontal fire tubes. It is the modification of a simple vertical boiler where the heating surface has been increased by means of a number of fire tubes.
In this boiler, the fire tubes are placed horizontally.
The efficiency of this boiler is much better than the simple vertical boiler.
Main Parts of Cochran Boiler:
The Main parts of Cochran boiler are:
- Combustion chamber
- Fire tubes
- Fire hole
- Firebox (Furnace)
- Man Hole
- Flue pipe
The main body of the boiler is known as a shell.
It is hemispherical on the top, where space is provided for steam.
This hemispherical top gives a higher volume to area ratio which increases the steam capacity.
The area where the fire is placed known as a grate.
It is placed at the bottom of the furnace where coal is burnt.
It is lined with fire bricks on the side of the shell to prevent overheating of the boiler.
Hot gases enter the fire tubes from the flue pipe through the combustion chamber.
The combustion chamber is connected to the furnace.
There are various fire tubes whose one end is connected to the furnace and other to the chimney.
A number of horizontal fire tubes are provided, thereby the heating surface is increased.
The small hole is provided at the bottom of the combustion chamber to place fuel is known as a fire hole.
Fir Box (Furnace):
It works as a mediator of fire tubes and combustion chamber.
It is also dome-shaped like the shell so that the gases can be deflected back till they are passed out through the flue pipe to the combustion chamber.
It is provided for the exit of flue gases to the atmosphere from the smokebox.
It is provided for the inspection and repair of the interior of the boiler shell.
It is a short passage connecting the firebox with the combustion chamber.
Working Principle of Cochran Boiler:
The Cochran boiler works as same as other fire tube boiler.
First, The coal is placed at the grate through the fire hole.
Then the air is entering into the combustion chamber through the atmosphere and fuel is sparked through fire hole.
Then flue gases start flowing into the hemispherical dome-shaped combustion chamber. This flue gases further moves into the fire pipes. And then
Heat is exchanged from flue gases to the water into the fire tubes.
The steam produce collected into the upper side of the shell and taken out by when the required pressure generated and then
The flue gases now send to the chimney through a firebox where it leaves into the atmosphere.
Now, this process repeats and runs continuously. The steam generates used into the small industrial processed.
Various boiler mounting and accessories are attached to the boiler for its efficient working:
1. Pressure Gauge: It measures the pressure of steam inside the boiler.
2. Safety Valve: It blows off the extra steam when the steam pressure inside the boiler reaches above safety level.
3. Water level Indicator: The position of the water level in the Cochran boiler is indicated by the water level indicator.
4. Stop Valve: Stop valve is used to transfer steam to the desired location when it is required. Otherwise, it stops the steam in the boiler.
5. Blow off Valve: It is used to blow off the settle down impurities, mud, and sediments present in the boiler water.
Applications of Cochran Boiler:
The application of Cochran boiler are:
- Variety of process applications in industries
- Chemical processing divisions
- Pulp and Paper manufacturing plants
- Refining units
Besides, they are frequently employed in power generation plants where large quantities of steam (ranging up to 500 kg/s) having high pressures i.e. approximately 16 megapascals (160 bar) and high temperatures reaching up to 550 °C are generally required.
Features of Cochran boiler:
These are some features of Cochran Boiler:
- In the Cochran boiler, any type of fuel can be used.
- It is best suitable for small capacity requirements.
- It gives about 70% thermal efficiency with coal firing and about 75% thermal efficiency with oil firing.
- The ratio of the grate area to the heating surface area varies from 10: 1 to 25:1
Advantages of Cochran Boiler:
These are some advantages of Cochran Boiler:
- Low floor area required.
- Low initialization cost.
- It is easy to operate.
- Transport from one place to another is very easy.
- It has a higher volume to area ratio.
Disadvantages of Cochran Boiler:
There are some disadvantages of Cochran Boiler and those are:
- Low steam generation rate.
- Limited pressure handles capacity.
- It is difficult to inspect and maintain.
So this is all about Cochran boiler, I hope you like my article, feel free to share your thoughts on the comment section. And don’t forget to share this article on your favorite social media platform, and be a part of #Spread_the_knowledge! Cheers!
1. In the Cochran boiler, any type of fuel can be used.
2. It is best suitable for small capacity requirements.
3. It gives about 70% thermal efficiency with coal firing and about 75% thermal efficiency with oil firing.
4. The ratio of the grate area to the heating surface area varies from 10: 1 to 25: 1.
A boiler is a closed system in which water is heated at critical temperature further to produce steam and further that steam used at several industries.
Classification of Boiler:
1. Fire Tube boiler
2. Water-tube boiler
It is a fire tube boiler.
1. Variety of process applications in industries
2. Chemical processing divisions
3. Pulp and Paper manufacturing plants
4. Refining units
It is a kind of low production rate of steam generation comparatively other types of boiler.
Generally, it is 500kg per hour or more.
Here are Some Hand-Picked articles for You:
Casting Patterns: Functions, Material, Types, Allowances [With PDF]January 8, 2020
Cutting Fluid: Definition, Purpose, Properties, Types, Applications, and Selection [With PDF]December 29, 2019
Difference Between Pump and Compressor [With PDF]January 17, 2020
Gear Trains: Definition and Types [With PDF]January 15, 2020
Electronic Ignition System: Definition, Parts, Working, Applications, Advantages, and Disadvantages [With PDF]January 10, 2020
SPREAD THE KNOWLEDGE BY SHARING